Montserrat Colonia Guell Tour
A MONTSERRAT GAUDI DAY TRIP
Gaudi’s other church and his relationship with Montserrat
Are you a Gaudi fan? Did you know he left a church unfinished outside of Barcelona? Have you heard of a monastery near Barcelona up in some rocky mountains? That’s Montserrat, and Gaudi worked there, too.
Montserrat is the most popular destination for a day trip from Barcelona, and the Colònia Gúell where Gaudi left the unfinished crypt is on the way there. There is a train that takes you to both of them, but organizing such an excursion on your own can be quite tricky as the train timetables are hard to combine in a reasonable manner. Plus once there you wouldn’t have anyone to explain them to you.
This is why we created this chauffeured tour that allows you to cover both sites comfortably and at a leisurely pace, and gives you a good understanding of what Montserrat and the Count Güell meant for Antoni Gaudi.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS PRIVATE DAY TRIP TO MONTSERRAT AND COLONIA GUELL:
CRIPTA GUELL + MONTSERRAT MOUNTAIN + ESCOLANIA CHOIR + TRADITIONAL LUNCH
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS TOUR
✓ Beautiful scenery
✓ Learn why the Montserrat Black Madonna… isn’t really black
✓ Discover how Gaudi contributed to the embellishment of Montserrat.
✓ Learn about the Industrial Revolution that funded the creation of the Eixample District.
✓ Discover the other unfinished church designed by Antoni Gaudi.
✓ Enjoy a traditional Catalan lunch at a local “masia” farmhouse.
✓ And much more, in a private tour just for you and your party!
- THIS TOUR RUNS: Every day.
ESCOLANIA CHOIR: Not singing on Saturdays or during their school holidays.
- TOUR LENGHT: 8 hours.
- RECOMMENDED STARTING TIME: 9.30 AM (this tour starting time is not flexible)
- WHERE DO WE MEET? WHERE DO WE END? Anywhere you want, within the city limits.
- IS THERE A LUNCH STOP? Yes.
- HOW DO WE MOVE AROUND? Rides in y Mercedes car or minivan for upto 6 of you + guide & dedicated driver. Walking around Montserrat and the Colonia Guell.
- IS THERE A DRESS CODE? So far there’s no dress code required for the Montserrat Monastery, however we recommend dressing modestly to enter the Basilica. In the winter, Montserrat tends to be colder than Barcelona. Wear comfortable walking shoes if you are planning to hike.
- HOW DOES THE NON-GUIDED OPTION WORK? If you book the non-guided option, you’ll have an English-speaking driver for the rides, able to provide light conversation but not detailed explanations of the sites. Once in Montserrat and Colonia Guell, you’ll walk around on your own. The driver will stay in the car.
TAILOR THIS TOUR TO YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS
This tour is great for people who are Gaudi fans and also want to see the Montserrat Monastery.
If you are traveling with kids, this tour is OK, but they probably would rather skip the Cripta Güell so there is more time to explore Montserrat, and then maybe have lunch by the beach in Sitges.
If you are looking forward to some hiking, I’m afraid this tour doesn’t allow for enough time. A Montserrat tour or a tour that combines Montserrat and Sitges are your best options (links above).
If you have walking issues or use a wheelchair, while the driver is only used for the rides between Montserrat and Barcelona, but not in Montserrat itself, the Monastery area and the basilica are wheelchair accessible and whenever there are steps they can be avoided. The Audiovisual and Exhibit, the Art Museum, the cog wheel train stations, the cafeteria, and the gift shops are accessible too. The funiculars, the cablecar and the various hike options are NOT wheelchair accessible.
If you are a Catholic, bare in mind that in this tour you’ll be arriving too late to approach the Black Madonna (you’ll see her from the distance when you enter the Basilica, though) or to attend mass.
If you aren’t a Christian, you will still enjoy this day tour if you like architecture, mountains, music and history.
If you are traveling in the winter, please note that the weather up in Montserrat is likely to be wet, cold and foggy. November through February we recommend to do Colònia Güell with Palau Güell instead. We can also custom a full day that combines Colònia Güell with Sitges or a winery.
If you have two days and want to see both sites in more detail, consider taking a Montserrat half day tour one day, and visit the Colonia Guell and Palau Guell on the next day.
This is a 100% private tour, exclusive for you and your party. There is a base rate total per tour (no matter how many people you are), plus a per person rate to cover the entrance fees.
BASE RATE (paid once per tour):
THIS TOUR IS8-HR TOUR
Licensed Tour Guide
Car or van with driver
On your own at the sites
Car or van with driver
CHANGE YOUR TOUR DATE UNLIMITED TIMES *
*Notifying us at least one week in advance. Click to learn more >>
ADDITIONAL FEES PER PERSON:
GÜELL CRYPT, PAID ON SITE: €12,5/person
NECESSARY AND PAID UPON BOOKING:
– Basilica admission (includes Escolania Choir when available): €9.75/person
– Escolania Choir: €9.75/person
– Black Madonna Alcove: €9.75/person OPTIONAL, BETTER PAID UPON BOOKING DURING HIGH SEASON:
– Cable car: €10/person (ONE WAY)
– Funicular of Sant Joan: €11/person (ONE WAY) Any other optional tickets can be paid on site (museum, audiovisual…)
LUNCH (not included)
Expect to pay €20-30/person, depending on your order. Learn more about lunch on tour.
* Costs are given as an orientation only, as they can change without notice. Discounts might apply for students and/or seniors.
More questions? Inclusions — Exclusions — FAQ — Contact — Cancellation Policy