In the meantime, you might want to work on the following skills, in order to become a “natural” ForeverBarcelona guide.
We never hire guides that:
- Don’t speak Catalan fluently, or haven’t been living in Barcelona / Catalonia for at least 5 years.
- Aren’t a certified official tourguide of Catalonia (check the Generalitat site to learn more)
- Are not entitled to issue invoices in Spain.
- Are not familiar enough with the required tourist sites.
- Are looking for a side job or a way to get some extra cash.
- Lack of experience guiding in the Catalonia area.
- Don’t like taking initiatives and prefer others to tell them what they need to do.
- Need to give free time to their clients so they can have a break during the tour.
- Systematically take their clients to gift shops where they know they’ll be given a commission.
- Only recommend restaurants that give them commission.
- Just work to get a good tip and complain when they don’t.
- Consider other tourguides their rivals and competition.
- Often complain and criticize other people’s work.
- Have walking issues.
- Get easily lost in the streets of Barcelona or can’t navigate the city subway.
- Feel nervous about getting public reviews about their tours and don’t like receiving feedback nor recommendations on how to improve.
OUR TEAM MEMBERS MUST:
LEGAL, TECHNICAL & AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be in possession of the Official Tourguide License issued by the Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Be able to issue invoices in Spain, and are up-to-date with your Spanish Social Security and tax payments.
- Own a smartphone with internet connection.
- Use Googlecalendar or a smartphone app that you can sync with a Googlecalendar as their daily agenda.
- Between May and October usually have 3 days/week or more available when asked one week in advance.
GUIDING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND STYLE
- Speak fluent English, Spanish and Catalan.
- Have at least 3 years experience giving tours in Barcelona and its surroundings.
- Are passionate about giving private tours (you think large group tours are not exciting enough)
- Are proud of the Catalan and Barcelona heritage, and feel honored to be an Ambassador of our land for our visitors.
- Being a tourguide is a long-term profession, not a side job or a summer job. You understand the importance of delivering your tours with a high level of professionalism.
- Are constantly learning new things about Barcelona, its history and sites, and anything else that can help you enlightening your tours.
- Get easily oriented in Barcelona and are familiar with the alleys of the Old Town, and the streets and subway lines linking the various city sites.
- The following sites don’t have secrets for them:
- Modernist sites: Sagrada Familia, Park Güell, Casa Milà, Casa Batlló, block of Disagreement, Casa de les Punxes.
- Gothic Quarter: Cathedral, Roman temple, Pl. del Rei, Pl. St. Jaume, Pl. St. Felip Neri, Sta. Maria del Pi.
- Jewish section and medieval synagogue.
- Rambla: Boqueria market, Pl. Reial.
- Born district: Sta. Maria del Mar, Fossar de les Moreres.
- Museums: Picasso and Miró.
- Montjuïc: 1929 world fair, 1992 olympics, various vantage points.
- Waterfront: Columbus, Port Vell, Barceloneta, Vila Olímpica.
- You can easily improvise a 4h gourmet tour in the Old Town.
- Montserrat: Roads taking to the Monastery, Monastery of Montserrat, some easy hikes in the area.
- Girona: History of Girona, Lleona, St. Feliu, Cathedral, Jewish Section, Museum of History of the Jewish, Arab Baths, medieval walls.
- Dali: Dalí’s biography, Dali Museum in Figueres.
- BONUS POINTS if are knowledgeable enough to give tours of Tarragona’s Roman sites, Penedes Wine Country, Sitges, Besalú, Tossa de Mar, Cadaqués and the other Dali sites.
- Are dynamic, fun, knowledgeable, resourceful, reliable and patient.
- Love being with people: are great with kids, understanding and caring with seniors and people with walking issues, easily adjust to the level of their clients and feel equally comfortable with an Art doctor, a businessman or a housewife (and make them feel comfortable and satisfied, too!).
- Are a problem-solver: when a problem arises you are quick to offer solutions and help your clients feeling well as soon as possible.
- Make their goal to make people happy, and you often over-deliver to achieve it.
- Are a positive person. Your sole presence generates good vibes around you.
- Sharing and collaborating (with clients, partners, colleagues…) comes naturally for them.
- Are in good shape and can spend a whole day (upto 8h) walking around without getting tired and keeping a smile on their face.
- Commissions from restaurants/shops and tips are not a special motivation for them.
- Are honest and ethical.
- Are punctual and organized, and find it easy to time an itinerary to a schedule.
- Are natural leaders with a special charm for small groups.
- Love getting feedback about their job, and enjoy reading customers reviews.
OTHER POINTS THAT WE VALUE
- Fluent French and/or Italian (sorry, we don’t work with other languages).
- Expertise in other Barcelona and Catalonia sites and themes.