Private Montserrat Winery Tour
MONTSERRAT AND CAVA TOUR
In one day
Are you into wine? Have you heard of the Montserrat monastery and don’ want to miss it? Did you know you can do both the Wine Country and Montserrat in the same day?
The Montserrat Monastery is an old favorite: an impressive church perched on top of a rocky mountain. And it is located not too far from the Penedès area: the wine country where cava, the local sparkling, is produced and one of the best wine regions near Barcelona. However, doing both on your own on the same day would be too tricky as there isn’t public transportation connecting both directly (it involves train connections).
But we thought mixing them in the same day sounded like a great plan, and that’s why we created this Montserrat wine tour that takes you first to Montserrat and then to a winery. Leave all the logistics and planning in our hands, and get ready for a fun day out!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS MONTSERRAT WINE TOUR FROM BARCELONA:
MONTSERRAT MONASTERY & MOUNTAIN + CAVA WINERY + LUNCH
WHY THIS IS THE BEST BARCELONA MONTSERRAT WINE TOUR
✓ Beautiful scenery
✓ Learn why the Montserrat Black Madonna… isn’t really black
✓ Enjoy a tasting of Catalan “cava”, the local sparkling
✓ Words such as “xarel·lo”, “macabeu” and “parellada” will stop being a mystery for you
✓ Have lunch at a local restaurant were you’ll probably be the only foreigner
✓ And much more, in a private Montserrat wine tour just for you and your party!
MONTSERRAT WINERY TOUR FAQ
- THIS MONTSERRAT AND CAVA TOUR RUNS: Every day.
Weekends: The wineries only offer tours in Catalan or Spanish, as that’s when the local public can go. Your guide will be translating for you in a low voice, in order not to disturb the rest of the visitors. Groups might also be larger than during the week, too, for the same reason.
- TOUR LENGHT: 8 hours.
- STARTING TIME: 8.30AM. This starting time is not flexible.
- WHERE DO WE MEET? WHERE DO WE END? Anywhere you want, within the city limits.
- IS THERE A LUNCH STOP? Yes. There’ll be a brunch paired with wine tastings at the cellar.
- HOW DO WE MOVE AROUND? Rides in Mercedes car or minivan for upto 6 of you + guide & dedicated driver. Walking in Montserrat.
- IS THERE A DRESS CODE? So far there’s no dress code required for the Montserrat Monastery, however we recommend dressing modestly to enter the Basilica. In the winter, Montserrat tends to be colder than Barcelona. Wear comfortable walking shoes if you are planning to hike. Inside the wineries there’s a constant temperature of around 59ºF (15ºC). A light jacket is recommended in the Summer.
- DO WE GET TO SEE THE ESCOLANIA CHOIR IN MONTSERRAT? No. Due to Due to the cellars opening hours, this tour is not compatible with seeing the Boys Choir in Montserrat. Check out our other Montserrat Tours if the Choir is a priority for you.
- HOW DOES THE NON-GUIDED OPTION WORK? In our non-guided tours you are on your own. Your English-speaking driver might provide light conversation during the rides from Barcelona to Montserrat and the wine country and back, but you won’t get detailed explanations of the area. And once at the sites, you’ll be on your own. You’ll ultimately be responsible for getting back to the car at the agreed time, or you might incur in extra hours if you are late.
- DISCLAIMER: We might be sharing the visit of the winery with other people, as it ultimately depends on the winery. Sometimes private tour supplement is available – ASK US.
REVIEWS FROM TRAVELERS THAT TOOK THIS MONTSERRAT WINE TOUR:
“The itinerary included all the necessary sights and Cava tastings we would never have been able to experience on our own.”
“Montserrat is beautiful and Maria was very knowledgeable. We then went to a fantastic cellar with Cava – many, many bottles of Cava for a tour and tasting. Lastly she took us to a Catalonian restaurant and helped us order. What a phenomenal day!!!!”
TAILOR THIS MONTSERRAT WINERY TOUR TO YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS
This Montserrat and Wine tour from Barcelona is great for those that want to see Montserrat as one of the top local destinations out of town, but also visit the wine country.
If you are traveling with kids, some wineries have grape juice for them during the gourmet wine tasting, but unless in your family you are a lot into wine and the kids are used to hearing about it all the time, you might want to skip the winery and go have lunch by the sea in Sitges after Montserrat instead.
If you have walking issues or use a wheelchair, the driver is only used for the rides, but not in Montserrat or the winery. The Montserrat Monastery area and the basilica are wheelchair accessible and whenever there are steps they can be avoided. The Audiovisual and Exhibit, the Art Museum, the cafeteria, and the gift shops are accessible too. As for the winery, most of them have steep steps to get to the winery but we know a couple that are accessible: please let us know in advance so we can book with them for your convenience.
If you are traveling in the winter, please note that the weather up in the mountain is likely to be wet, cold and foggy. November through February we recommend warmer destinations that can be combined with the Wine Country such as Tarragona or Sitges.
This is a 100% private tour, exclusive for you and your party. There is a base rate total per tour (no matter how many people you are), plus a per person rate to cover the entrance fees.
BASE RATE (paid once per tour):
On your own in Montserrat
Car or van with driver
THIS TOUR IS8-HR TOUR
Licensed Tour Guide
Car or van with driver
PER PERSON FEES (additional, per person)
In Montserrat (optional):
NECESSARY AND PAID UPON BOOKING:
– Basilica admission (includes Escolania Choir when available): €9.75/person
– Escolania Choir: €9.75/person
– Black Madonna Alcove: €9.75/person OPTIONAL, BETTER PAID UPON BOOKING DURING HIGH SEASON:
– Cable car: €10/person (ONE WAY)
– Funicular of Sant Joan: €11/person (ONE WAY) Any other optional tickets can be paid on site (museum, audiovisual…)
Cellar visit with paired brunch: €75/person , paid upon booking.
* Costs are given as an orientation only, as they can change without notice. Discounts might apply for students and/or seniors.