Girona and Figueres Tour from Barcelona
THE DALI MUSEUM IS CLOSED DUE TO COVID
THIS TOUR WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN WHEN IT REOPENS
GIRONA AND FIGUERES IN ONE DAY
Unique art and history
Are you interested in Salvador Dali’s art? Have you also heard of a lovely town called Girona that is also in the area? Would you like to visit both in just one day?
Salvador Dali was born in a town called Figueres, and there he created his own insane museum – against his wife Gala’s will. It’s a surreal place designed to surprise you at each step you take, that will remind you of a fun fair.
Girona is a beautifully kept medieval town with a labyrinth of alleys and backstreets, an important Cathedral and a restored Jewish Section with a sad history. It is so scenic that it was chosen to be Braavos in the 6th season of Games of Thrones!
The short distance between these two towns makes it easy to explore Girona and Figueres in one day trip. But visiting both places on your own is pretty tricky as you need to be constantly paying attention to train schedules. Of course, unless you prefer to rent a car and drive. Plus at the Dali Museum there are no audio guides and you can feel a bit lost (almost cheated!) in front of such an explosion of weirdness. Getting oriented in Girona isn’t easy either, and you can miss so much without someone point out at the relevant details and bringing the stones into life.
This is why we’ve designed this day trip to Girona and Figueres that provides the comfort of a private driver to take you to the sites, and the efficiency and knowledge of our licensed guides to show you around.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE GIRONA AND DALI MUSEUM DAY TRIP FROM BARCELONA:
DALI THEATER MUSEUM IN FIGUERES + MEDIEVAL GIRONA + LOCAL LUNCH
WHY YOU'LL LOVE OUR GIRONA DALI TOUR
✓ Skip lines everywhere. No need to pre-purchase tickets yourself.
✓ Unlike with some other tour operators, our guide will go inside the Dali Museum with you and give you as many explanations as you need.
✓ Visit a unique museum that resembles a fun fair.
✓ Challenge your idea of who Salvador Dali was.
✓ Go inside Salvador Dali’s minds and understand his symbols as well as his varied influences going from the Renaissance masters to modern science.
✓ Learn about two people that left a strong imprint in Dali’s personality: his wife Gala and… his tortuous relationship with his father.
✓ Discover the surreal place where Salvador Dali was buried in Figueres, his own hometown.
✓ Once in Girona, feel like in Italy, but without the crowds.
✓ Explore Girona with your guide, focusing on your favorite topics: Jewish heritage, medieval history, Game of Thrones, scenic points…
✓ Walk around beautiful Girona alleys off the beaten path most tourists will never find on their own.
✓ Have lunch at a local restaurant were you’ll probably be the only foreigner.
✓ And much more, in a private Dali tour just for you and your party!
- THIS GIRONA, FIGUERES AND DALI MUSEUM TOUR RUNS:
– June to September: Monday thru Sunday
– October to May: Tuesday to Sunday
SOME SITES CLOSED:
– Sunday: the only parts of the Cathedral of Girona that can be visited are the museum and the cloister only, but not the inside.
– Monday: the Museum of History of the Jewish is closed.
NOT AVAILABLE: Monday (October thru May)
UNIQUE: In May Girona celebrates the “Time of Flowers” festival. A great time to visit it!
- TOUR LENGHT: 8 hours.
- RECOMMENDED STARTING TIME: 9AM (8AM is also possible March thru October)
- WHERE DO WE MEET? WHERE DO WE END? Anywhere you want, within the Barcelona city limits.
- IS THERE A LUNCH STOP? Yes.
- HOW DO WE MOVE AROUND? Rides in y Mercedes car or minivan for upto 6 of you + guide & dedicated driver. Walking around the Dali Museum and Girona.
- IS THIS A SKIP-THE-LINE TOUR? Yes! Our guides are licensed and entitled to skip lines and give explanations inside all sites.
- HOW DOES THE NON-GUIDED OPTION WORK? If you book the non-guided option, you’ll have an English-speaking driver for the rides, able to provide light conversation but not detailed explanations of the sites. We’ll book timed tickets for the Dali Museum and you’ll visit on your own (there are no audioguides available). You’ll also walk around Girona on your own. You’ll be responsible of being back to the car at the time designated by us, or you might incur in extra hours.
- CAN WE TAKE THE TRAIN INSTEAD? I’m afraid that the train schedules rarely allow us to take you there just for 8 hours, and you are likely to end up having to pay for extra hours. Also, take into account that having to pay for the guide’s train ride besides yours, and the taxis from the fast-speed train stations (from Figueres Vilafant to the Dali Museum, and to the Old Town of Girona and back), the train might be cost-efficient for couples, but not for larger parties. E-mail us if you are interested in a day trip to Girona and the Dali Museum by high speed train.
REVIEWS FROM TRAVELERS LIKE YOU:
“Javier’s insight to Dali explained (as much as possible) much of the craziness of this unbelievable artist. We will always remember this fantastic experience.”
“Seeing the Dali through Marta’s eyes was wonderful. She was so knowledgeable and able to look for aspects we didn’t know were there. Girona was a wonderful medieval town and we had a fabulous lunch at a delicious Catalan restaurant. “
TAILOR THIS TOUR TO YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS
This Dali tour is our best-selling full day out of town (our half day best seller is Montserrat). So anyone wanting to see the top sites near Barcelona should do both tours, or at least one of them.
The Dali Museum and Girona tour is perfect for those interested in museums and art (bonus if there’s a special interest in Surrealism or Salvador Dali himself), but also enjoy strolling around historical towns (specially medieval areas or places with a Jewish past).
If you are traveling with kids, this day tour can child-friendly if we focus more on the exploration of the sites than the academic part. Girona offers plenty of opportunities to explore, and legends and cool stories to listen to. But take into account that many Dali works have a strong (although somehow hidden) sexual component: depending on the maturity of your kids, your guide will chose to share it discreetly with the adults only, adapt it for the kids, or skip it totally. If your kids aren’t much into museums or art, you might want to consider skipping the Dali Museum and going to the beach after Girona instead.
If you have walking issues or use a wheelchair, please note that in the Dali Museum there are short sections of steps and no elevator, and that in Girona there are also stairs and uphill cobblestone streets (although there is a little tourist train that we can take to spare you the walk). If you don’t have much stamina, you might want to take a shorter tour (6 hours) and visit only the Dali Museum or only Girona.
If you are a Salvador Dali fan, you can check here all our Dali Museum tours from Barcelona.
This is a 100% private tour, exclusive for you and your party. There is a base rate total per tour (no matter how many people you are), plus a per person rate to cover the entrance fees.
BASE RATE (paid once per tour):
ADDITIONAL FEES PER PERSON:
PAID ON SITE skipping lines: Dali Museum: €15/person
IN GIRONA (Optional):
LUNCH (not included)
Expect to pay €20-30/person, depending on your order. Learn more about lunch on tour.
* Costs are given as an orientation only, as they can change without notice. Discounts might apply for students and/or seniors.