Girona and Montserrat Tour from Barcelona
PRIVATE MONTSERRAT AND GIRONA TOUR
An ambitious plan for energetic people that want to see everything
Visiting Montserrat and Girona is your dream? Only have one day to visit them and your desire is so strong that not even the long rides between them will make you change your opinion?
The Monastery of Montserrat and the medieval town in Girona are two of the top destinations for a Barcelona day trip. Unfortunately, they are quite in opposite directions and if you are willing to cover them in just one day, you’ll have to be ready to spend as much time inside a car than out exploring the sites. However, it’s doable! Tricky and exhausting if you try to organize on your own, but manageable with our help.
However, make sure to read all the pros and cons: it’s a long (and not cheap!) day, and we want to make sure you are booking it fully conscious of what it involves.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS GIRONA AND MONTSERRAT TOUR:
MONTSERRAT MOUNTAIN (Breathtaking views) + MONTSERRAT BASILICA (Inside) + GIRONA (Lovely stroll)
WHY THIS IS THE BEST GIRONA AND MONTSERRAT TOUR FROM BARCELONA
✓ Get to see in one single day what most people do in 2 separate day trips.
✓ Relax on the road, while your driver takes care of navigating.
✓ Go out of town for a day and forget about the city rhythm.
✓ Breathtaking mountain scenery.
✓ Discover the geological origins of the rocky shapes of Montserrat.
✓ Learn why the Black Madonna of Montserrat… isn’t really black!
✓ Explore Girona with your guide, focusing on your favorite topics: Jewish heritage, medieval history, Game of Thrones, scenic points…
✓ Feel like in Italy, but without the crowds.
✓ And much more, in a private Montserrat and Girona tour just for you and your party!
- THIS GIRONA AND MONTSERRAT TOUR RUNS: Every day.
SOME SITES CLOSED:
Monday: the Museum of History of the Jewish of Girona is closed.
Saturday and school holidays: the Montserrat Boys Choir doesn’t sing.
Sunday: the interior of the Cathedral of Girona is not available for visits as there is mass going on (you can visit the Cloister and the Treasure Museum, though.
UNIQUE: In May, Girona celebrates the “Time of Flowers” festival. A great time to visit it and see the usual sites covered in flower decorations.
- TOUR LENGHT: 10 hours.
- STARTING TIME: 10.30 AM. It allows you to see the Boys Choir in Montserrat (unless it’s Saturday or school holidays, since they don’t sing then).
8.30 AM – You’ll be seeing the Black Madonna Shrine instead of the Boys Choir, leave at 11.30 for Girona and eat there at 1.30PM. The Cable car will still be closed by the time you arrive to Montserrat.
9.30 AM – You’ll arrive to Montserrat on time for Mass (optional) but miss the Boys Choir (unless it’s Sunday), as you’ll be leaving at 12.30 for Girona to eat there at 2.30PM.
- WHERE DO WE MEET? WHERE DO WE END? Anywhere you want, within the Barcelona city limits.
- IS THERE A LUNCH STOP? Yes, either in Montserrat (quick meal) or in Girona (seat-down lunch), depending on your requested starting time.
- HOW DO WE MOVE AROUND? Rides in Mercedes car or minivan for up to 6 of you + guide & dedicated driver. Walking around Montserrat and Girona.
- HOW DOES THE NON-GUIDED OPTION WORK? If you book the non-guided option, you’ll have an English-speaking driver for the rides, able to provide light conversation but not detailed explanations of the sites. You’ll walk around on your own at the sites. You’ll be responsible of being back to the car at the time designated by us, or you might incur in extra hours.
- CAN WE DO THE DALI MUSEUM INSTEAD OF GIRONA? Sure! Just take into account that the Dali Museum is further away than Girona, what means you’ll be more time in the car, and have about a couple of hours for the Dali Museum.
Click here to see a suggested schedule.
- CAN WE MAKE THIS TOUR LONGER? Sure! If you’d rather spend more time in Girona and Montserrat, we recommend to book a 12-hour tour, starting one hour earlier than the suggested starting times, so you can spend one extra hour at each destination.
- CAN WE GO BY TRAIN INSTEAD OR DRIVING? No. I’m afraid that even if there’s trains to get to Montserrat and to Girona from Barcelona, there are no direct trains between Girona and Montserrat.
TAILOR THIS MONTSERRAT AND GIRONA TOUR TO YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS
This tour is ONLY RECOMMENDED for people with lots of energy willing to do both Girona and Montserrat in one day despite the long rides.
If you are traveling with kids, this tour won’t work at all. We suggest you stick to only one of the two destinations: Montserrat is usually more child-friendly, and it makes a lovely combination with a seaside lunch in Sitges if you wish a light full day. As for Girona, kids usually loved it in combination with the Costa Brava beaches.
If you have walking issues or use a wheelchair, please note that the visit of Girona involves sections of stairs and uphill cobblestone streets. Plus you might not have enough stamina to keep going for 10 hours… We recommend you stick to just Montserrat instead, which will be a more leisurely option for you (the funiculars, the cablecar and the various hike options are NOT wheelchair accessible).
If you are traveling in the winter, please note that the weather is likely to be wet, cold and foggy. November through February we recommend warmer destinations such as Tarragona or Sitges, or indoor destinations like a winery or the Dali Museum instead.
This is a 100% private tour, exclusive for you and your party. There is a base rate total per tour (no matter how many people you are), plus a per person rate to cover the entrance fees.
BASE RATE (paid once per tour):
On your own at the sites
Car or van with driver
THIS TOUR IS10-HR TOUR
Licensed Tour Guide
Car or van with driver
One extra hour in each destination
Licensed Tour Guide
Car or van with driver
ADDITIONAL FEES PER PERSON:
All the entrance fees in this tour are optional.
- PER PERSON, PAID ON SITE in Montserrat:
– Cablecar: €7,75/person (ONE WAY) – St. Joan Funicular: €9.10/person (ONE WAY) – Audiovisual show: €5.50/person – Art Museum: €8/person
- PER PERSON, PAID ON SITE in Girona:
- Medieval Baths: €2/person
- Cathedral: €7/person
- Museum of the Jewish: €4/person
LUNCH (not included)
A quick meal in the Montserrat canteen can cost around €10-15/person, while the optional full lunch in Girona would be some €30-40/person. Learn more about lunch on tour here.
* Costs are given as an orientation only, as they can change without notice. Discounts might apply for students and/or seniors.